Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mountain Bars :: A Childhood Favorite

These recipe came from my mom... not sure where she got it, but I remember her making these when I was a kid all the time. And they were one of my favorites! Still to this day, too.
Kellen and I made them today; he was quite the little helper! And Oh So Cute!SIMPLE NO BAKE MOUNTAIN BARS OR COOKIES

2 cups sugar (I used 1 3/4 cups, and it was still great!)
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup cocoa (dry)
3 cups (quick cooking instant) oatmeal (or grind up some regular oatmeal for same effect)
1 cup of creamy or chunky peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla

opt:: I added about 1/2- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut, and I have to say, it was fabulous!Mix first 4 ingredients in saucepan on medium heat. Boil 1 minute or 2. Take off heat and add peanut butter, stir until smooth and creamy. Stir in oats (and coconut) and vanilla. Mix until all mixed together.
Drop onto wax paper with a big spoon and let cool in freezer for 1/2 hour or until cool. When putting away, store in airtight container.

No comments: