Thursday, February 11, 2010

Polenta Pie


Yesterday, I made some polenta pie. A recipe brought be none other than my favorite sis-in-law, Danielle! We made this last February when her and my mother in law were visiting, and it is delicious. Too bad Tyler isn't too fond of polenta! It is almost like I make a black bean casserole, but I layer that with tortilla (corn) and cheese in two layers... maybe next time I will do one of those.

Another great thing about it is that it makes one to freeze! I love having good ready made meals in the freezer... especially when you are about to have a baby. So here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
2 TB veg oil/olive oil
2 bunches scallions
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans pinto beans, rinsed (I used kidney instead)
2 cans black beans, rinsed
1 can tomatoes, in juice
1 tube polenta
1 bunch cilantro
1/2 tsp tabasco
1 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded ( I used cheddar)

* add in other veggies too, at the beginning: peppers, onions, carrots, etc; all chopped
* I also added a can of pureed butternut squash, and it was SO good with this addition!

In large pan (cast iron works great, and gives extra iron) heat 1 T oil over medium heat, add white part of scallion and garlic (and extra veggies). Season w/ salt and peper. Cook until softened. Add beans, tomatoes w/juice and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil and mash 1/4 of beans (with potato masher?) to release starch. Reduce to simmer and cook until thickened; about 10-15 minutes.
Brush 2 deep pie plates (one for cooking, one for freezing) with remaining oil. Slice polenta crosswise into rounds, divide between plates. Top with bean mix then cheese. Bake at 400 degrees 15-20 minutes.
TO FREEZE: After topping with bean mixture, let this cool completely. Put cheese on, and then cover with foil. Freeze up to 3 months. Bake in foil covered pie plates at 400 degrees until warm in center (usually 70-80 min. Remove foil; bake until cheese is golden brown (about 15 more minutes).
Another option to freeze would be do everything above, then after it has been in the freezer for a little bit, take it out, and let unfreeze SLIGHTLY, then take out of pie plate (or whatever) and put in plastic bag. This is a tip I learned from somewhere on this vast internet, but I really have no clue where!? That way you aren't using up all your dishes for freezer stuff.
I think you can run hot water on bottom of dish to loosen it up too.

3 comments:

Jones said...

Yummy thanks! :0)

Maryellen Hooper said...

We're vegetarians and I can't cook! So this recipe is just what I was looking for.(I came to your site from our Vintage Swap site)I'm excited to try it. (although my family is scared...from previous attempts by me)Thanks for posting it.
PS Your quilt is amazing!
Maryellen

Heather said...

This looks so yummy Brooke. Thank you for sharing